Thursday 13 February 2014

Book Musings 1

My challenge this year (yes, another challenge) is to read more again. I will let you all know how I'm getting on with that!


The book for January:






I've struggled with this book, I originally started reading it back in June last year and just could not get into the plot or characters at all. This is just the stuff I usually love, witches, vampires, daemons, magic, all living in the "human world" but it was all rather slow to pick up momentum. As I got towards the end of the book, I met more characters and I actually quite like some of the less prominent ones. 

I finally managed to finish this book and, to my utter surprise, I am looking forward to starting the second book in the series. It is rather unfortunate that all the action seems to happen in the last 120 or so pages, but the plot definitely picks up there and keeps the reader's interest. The characters unfold properly, some new characters show up, but do not really disturb or add confusion to the plot. I loved "the house" and the role it plays for the Bishop family. 

If you can make it through the first two thirds of this book, you are in for a pleasant surprise. The build up was way too lengthy and I wish more time would have been spent with the happenings in the Bishop family home, maybe some more introductions to the aunties and other inhabitants of the house. 

I am now glad I persevered and finished the book.

1 comment: