Sunday 13 May 2012

Day 134 - Portrait of a woman

Oh a nice change for today i see :) not only is the sun out, but i also knew instantly which photo to use for today.. although ill still have to find a "random" one as the portrait im using was done years and years before i was even born. I always amaze my mother by my very vivid memories of my grandmother, who died when i was only 3 years old. I used to (and still do) adore this woman. She had the patience of a saint with me and i remember the little sandpit my dad put out the back of her flat, where she would sit for hours and hours and make little sandcakes and, dare i say it, cemeteries with me. She always had a forbidden sweet in her apron pocket for me, she would take me across the road to the little corner shop and let me choose any penny sweet i wanted. One time, she offered to change a whole load of copper change i had for a shiny 2 DM coin, i dutifully handed over ALL my pennies and promptly burst into tears, although she had given me far more than my pennies were worth, to me, i had given her "all that money" for "only one coin in return". She had a hard life, bringing up 9 children on her own as my grandfather was executed in a Concentration Camp as a traitor and deserter for hiding Jewish family members throughout the war. I gather from my mother, the only surviving daughter as her twin sisters died, that my grandmother was a very strict mother.. but, as a grandchild i never saw that side of her. To me she was all about hugs when i had been shouted at, somebody safe to hide behind when i knew i had been naughty, a playmate and a constant source of unconditional love. I dont remember much about her dying, she went into hospital and just never came back home.. and as i didnt go to the funeral, i dont really have any recollection of saying goodbye to her. To this day i often "meet" her in my dreams, she will just be there, standing in a corner of a room or quietly sitting at a kitchen table.. but i know that whenever i dreamt of her, things will turn out ok.

5 comments:

  1. She sounds like a lovely grandmother and you've shared some treasured memories there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh Picxie, that is such a treasured memory and one which should be shared to remind us all how good even the most mundane life is now, compared to those days in the wartime. thanks for sharing..x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story Nicky !
    What these wars have done to both sides is so devastating. My grandfather on my mother side was made prisoner during the 1st world war and was also sent to camps for many years. There he contracted tuberculosis and although he was eventually released they couldn't save him and he passed away. At 22 my grandmother was a widow with 2 daughters. My mum was 2 1/2 and her sister 18 months. My mum says she still remembers her dad a bit.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely story to share and a treasured photo.

    ReplyDelete